Thursday 10 January 2013

Question 6

Q6 what have you learnt about the technologies from the process of constructing this product

The variety of hardware used in the process of producing my main media product includes: The Cannon XHA1 camera and the editing software I used to edit my opening title sequence is: Adobe Premier. After using both the hardware and software facilities to create my media product I learnt that it is important to pay attention to little aspects to prevent errors occurring.

The filming techniques in which I learnt and used throughout the procedure of filming include:

·         Match on action
·         Framing
·         The 180 degree rule                                   
·         Continuity
·         Action reaction shot
·         Different angles
·         Rule of thirds
·         Safety shots

After demonstrating my knowledge and understanding of filming techniques, in which I practiced prior to my main task, I became aware of the importance of ‘Match on action’. I realised in order to present a continuous flow from one shot to another, when filming my group needed to ensure each movement and action of the characters were performed endlessly, until they were out of the frame. This is because it provided action from the previous shot with the upcoming shot to correspond.

The ‘Framing’ of each shot was significant in ensuring the characters actions were correctly captured. For example my group initially decided the use of a ‘Cut-in’ shot would benefit our film, as it puts emphasis on a particular shot. We used this specific type of shot to capture the important event; the dial of the boom-box being turned clockwise to portray the increase in sound on screen. I became aware that a ‘Over the shoulder’ shot is an interesting way of presenting a conversation. By switching the camera angles during the characters dialogue, it engages the audience. My group decided that, by using this shot we would emphasis what the characters were saying, and this was important as it is essential for the audience to listen to the comical dialogue performed by the characters. I ensured the ‘180° degrees ruleensures that shots looks professional and that scene flow continuously. For example: Shot 4, we ensured the camera didn’t cross the invisible 180° line, so the movement of the characters was properly sequenced.

 The ‘Continuity’ of our opening title sequence was important in portraying my media skills. This is because the continuity of our opening title sequence, gives the complete action in detail and in the order in which they are to be shown on the screen. This an important factor as it ensures each prop is place permitting to the same position throughout the film. An example of where I confirmed continuity took place was shown through the use of props. For instance I understood the ‘Boom-box’ needed to remain in the same centre position when on the floor, and on characters left shoulder when picked up.
 ‘Action reaction’ was integrated throughout our opening title sequence. An example of when action reaction was taken into consideration is during the cut-in shot of the boom-box. The action is the dial of the boom-box turning in a clockwise direction, and the reaction which follows is the serious facial expressions of the characters. An appropriate reaction takes place; providing understanding to the audience.

My group aimed to include Different angles’ throughout our opening title sequence. I became aware that the audience are more engaged when a series of camera angles are used. This is because it emphasis's the action on screen, encouraging the audience to pay attention. For instance different camera angles were used to show the movement of our main character, both from the sideways and midpoint position. E.g. the change from a two shot to an over-the shoulder shot, throughout the course of one characters dialect. 

The ‘Rule of thirds’ was a key factor that my group took into consideration. For example, during the conversation between two characters, presented in a ‘Two-shot’ we ensured minimal space remained around the characters, and that the frame was full so the characters are positioned in the centre. ‘Safety shots’ were taken by my group to provide security in case shots were accidentally deleted or we wanted to incorporate wide/ long shots later on during editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment